Marathon Des Sables (MDS) is for many a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Unfortunately, as many as 20% of registered entrants don’t make the start line because they get injured, mainly due to overtraining or just training incorrectly.
Having a coach is not a guarantee that injury won't happen but with the right coach it can significantly reduce the risk. Incidence of injury is very low amongst my clients and I achieved 100% completion rate for my coaching clients who competed in the 2017 and 2018 editions.
Marathon Des Sables is a very specific race. It is only if you have been there that you can fully understand the complexity brought about by the extreme environment, race format and race rules. Specific preparations are required in regards to acclimatisation, equipment, nutrition, mental aspects, race administration, camp life etc.
Coaching with me means that you get access to my knowledge and experience from competing in four editions of MDS, as well as coaching runners for the race since 2015. I know the area of the course well. As such I know what you can expect out on the course and I incorporate specific training in your plan. I have coached top runners, walkers just aiming to complete within cut-offs, and every level in between. I can help you set a realistic goal, recommend races to do in training, help you manage family/work expectations and make the training fit in with your life.
Many people wonder how long they need coaching for. It varies, but in my experience those who start between 6 months to a year before the race achieve better results. This is because of the consistency they can develop in their training. I recommend a minimum of three months, though I have worked with clients for as little as eight weeks prior to the race.
Marathon Des Sables Coaching Package
My "standard" coaching offer is perfectly suitable for MDS. I do however also offer a 5-month long "MDS package". This includes:
- Setup (£150)
- 5 months bespoke training plan, beginning Monday 5th Nov 2018 and taking you through to race start. Delivered 4-weekly or monthly, with 1 x 30-min Skype call per month and ongoing e-mail support. (£975.00)
- One extra 30-min call pre-race over and above standard offer to cover your race specific questions (£50.00)
- Kit list template with examples per item, suggested weight per item, and with specification of what is mandatory and recommended gear (£59.00)
- Personalised Race Nutrition Plan based on your preferences / dietary requirements. Including detailed food items, calorie breakdown and macronutrient (fat, carbohydrate, protein) breakdown (£199.00)
Total price including setup: £1299.00 (Save 9% / £134.00)
- Upfront payment. Partial refund possible if you have to withdraw from the race (see terms & conditions)
- Start Date of the Plan: Monday 5th Nov. Please register interest as soon as possible. Your place can only be guaranteed if you pay a £100.00 deposit (deducted from your setup fee when you start coaching) but you can be on a free wait list (first come first served) with option to commit later on when my capacity fills.
- Earlier start dates for an extended duration of coaching is possible. I will then calculate the price pro-rata. Contact me if you are interested in this. For a shorter duration look at my pay-monthly coaching options and individual components.
- If you are signed up to a 6+ months standard coaching block, you can benefit from the same discounts on individual components (10% off one additional Skype, Kit List template or Race Nutrition Plan).